ASIST teaches Pathways for Assisting Life (PAL), which is a practical guide to undertaking suicide interventions. The training will enable participants to develop confidence and skills through observation and supervised simulation. During the course you will have an opportunity to explore personal or professional experiences of suicide and space and support to focus on how your experiences with suicide impact on your beliefs and attitudes about using suicide first aid.
By the end of the training, participants will be able to;
* Identify people who have thoughts of suicide
* Understand how beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventionsUnderstand a person at risk’s story about suicide as well as recognise turning points that connect a person to life
* Conduct a safety assessment and develop a plan that will keep the person at risk ‘safe for now’
* Confirm the person at risk’s faith in the ‘safeplan’ and their intent to follow it through
* Practise as a registered ASIST caregiver
*Contact details will be passed on to the organisation delivering the training*